Monday, April 16, 2007

Coumadin Saga Continued...

Today was supposed to include a short visit to Hopkins: get blood taken, wait for results, leave. I hurried the process and we left early, so then we had to go back!?!?! My coumadin levels needed to be retested. This time we waited for the results: 5.3. It is supposed to be between 2 and 3.... Last Monday it was only 1.9.... I made excellent progress and they will prick me again on Thursday. I am officially afraid of needles!

While waiting for all of these results, I took advantage of the time to tour the Hospital. Everyone else gets to walk around, but I was always stuck in one room for treatment. I was able to walk through the original Main Building.



It made me recall the HBO movie Something the Lord Made:

"based on the true story of two unlikely partners – a black lab technician and a prominent white surgeon – who together in one famous operation at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in the racially segregated 1940s ushered in the era of heart surgery. Their unusual, poignant and sometimes stormy partnership did more than challenge the medical establishment; it challenged the social establishment of the day."




A portrait of
Vivien Thomas hangs in the Blalock building, where my port was installed.

No comments: